Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Problem with America

                            
Before I begin, anyone who knows me knows that I am a liberal.  Anyone, who knows me also knows that I am black. With those things being said I clearly have a sense of allegiance to President Obama. However, my allegiance to the Democratic Party and the president does not bar me from being able to listen to opposing opinions.  I frequently listen to conservative radio: Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh (as much as I don't like them), and I also watch Fox News and that damn Bill O'Reilly.

Do I agree with them? Hell to the nizzaww. But does that make me right and them wrong? Usually yes, just kidding, but just because we disagree doesn't make one right or one wrong.  I think one thing that we all forget is that a discourse/discussion/debate between two opposing sides is a good thing.  Not only is it good but it is great.  There was a time when there was no discourse; when women and blacks couldn't vote. When a womans place was in the kitchen only and only land owning white men had opinions that mattered.  But now that everyone is equal in theory we forget to have a discourse. We forget to have a civilized debate, something that we all want, but something that we refuse to exercise. 

We tend to forget the way that we got to where we all are today was that we were taught things. We took our preconceived notions and were proven wrong.  WE ALL use to believe in Santa Claus and we all had the debate on the school playground as to why Santa was real. Only to be proven wrong.  Don't go into every situation in life believing that you know it all, and you know the right way to solve every problem because you will quickly be the laughing stock in every situation.

If you are a conservative, for every hour you spend reaffirming your own beliefs, spend 10 minutes watching MSNBC.  If you are a liberal, for every hour you spend reaffirming your own beliefs, spend 10 minutes watching Fox News.  Take a minute to empty your cup and allow water from a different faucet to be poured in. A cup can always be emptied but if you miss out on some water coming down the stream the opportunity may not be there later on as the stream may dry out. 

Be able to have a debate with your friends who don't agree with every opinion you have and hear what they say. Don't just listen. We will all be better for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment